St. Andrew's Church
123, Kalathiappa Street,
Choolai, Chennai - 600 112.
Phone: 044 2661 2203 / 2532 4015
A Brief History
St. Andrew's, the first Church in Vepery is one of the earliest Roman Catholic churches in Madras. It is the Mother Church for the famous Votive Shrine in Kilpauk. Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine in Perambur, St. Joseph's in Vepery, St. Anthony's in Pudupet and St. Anthony's in Narasingapuram. The old Church of St. Andrew's was built by Rev. Fr. Felix, an Italian Capuchin in 1830. Msgr. D. Raju who was the 28th Parish Priest (1940-1971) of St. Andrew's Church built the new Church which now exists with great splendour. Msgr. P. Thomas, late Archbishop of Bangalore, was the Parish Priest from 1931 to 1939. The new church was constructed at the same site as the old one constructed by the Capuchin Father in Kalathiappa Street.