Our Lady of Guidance Church
22(47), Lazarus Church Road,
Raja Annamalai Puram,
Chennai - 600 028.
Phone :044 2464 2433
A Brief History
This Parish is one of the oldest Parishes in the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore. It is more than 400 years old.
This church dedicated to Lazarus was built in 1582 by Fr. Ribeiro. It was extended and renovated by an European named Manuel Madra in 1637. In 1928, Fr. A.M. Texeira, the Vicar General laid the foundation for the new Church.
The Sacred Congregation of Propaganda issued a decree on 26.2.1954 that, 'the Church of Lazarus would be hence forth known as the Church of Our Lady of Guidance (Nossa Senhora de Guia) This parish was first known as 'Madre-de-Deus' (Mother of God), but since this place was entrusted to the Jesuit Fathers for the Retreat House, Lazarus Church was made the Parish Church.
This Portuguese name Madre-de-Deus in due course, gave the name. 'Madras' to this City. On 1st June, 1957, this Church was erected as a Parish. On that day the statue of Our Lady of Guidance was transferred and installed in Lazarus Church from Madre-de-Deus Church.