St. Mary's Co-Cathedral
63/110, Armenian Street
Chennai - 600 001
Phone: 044 2538 3097 / 2538 4848
A Brief History
The Church was established in 1642. It also served as the Church of the Prefect of the Capuchin Mission at Madras. This Church was built by Fr. Ephraim de Nevers in 1658. When the Vicar Apostolic of Madras, Dr. Joseph Colgan, became the first Archbishop of Madras in 1886, this Church was raised to the dignity of a Cathedral.
In 1952, when the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore was formed, this Church became the Co-Cathedral of the new Archdiocese. Devotion to St. Anthony is very popular here.
On 8th September 2005 the present Archbishop His Grace, Most Rev. Dr. A.M. Chinnappa SDB DD Ph.D. issued a decree elevating this Parish a Shrine of the Archdiocese.