St. Francis Xavier's Church
Chennai - 600 108.
0Phone: 44 2524 8644 / 2521 6213
A Brief History
The Catholics of Broadway known as 'Black Town' were attending Mass at St. Mary's Catghedral in George Town till 1843. As the local population increased, a small chapel was built in 1850 at Broadway. On 3rd December, 1865 a new Church in honour of St. Francis Xavier was constructed and consecrated In 1878 it was erected as a separate Parish. The First Parish Priest was Rev. Fr. D. Doyle. From 1878 to 1929 this parish was managed by Diocesan Priests.
From 1929 this parish was entrusted to the Salesians. After the Salesians took up this Parish, devotion to Mary Help of Christians was promoted. In 1953 the Parish Church was renovatged and consecrated by Rev. Fr. Orfeo Mantovani SDB. From then this Church was dedicated to Mary Help of Christians.
The feast of Mary Help of Christians is celebrated on 24th May. On 8th September 2005 the present Archbishop His Grace Most Rev. Dr. A.M. Chinnappa SDB DD Ph.D issued a decree elevating this Parish as a Shrine of Mary Help of Christians of the Archdiocese.