Besant Nagar

Annai Velankanni Shrine

Elliot's Beach Road,
Besant Nagar
Chennai - 600 020
Phone 044 2491 1246 / 2446 6923

A Brief History
In 1971, this Church was a substation of St. Louis Church, Adyar. Fr. P.T. Arulappa, the then Parish Priest, St. Louis Church, Adyar and a great Missionary started Our Lady of Vailankanni Church under trying conditions. The Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore, Most Rev. Dr. R. Arulappa, erected it as a separate Parish in 1973. The imposing 97 feet belfry was declared open by the then Chief Minister, Dr. M. Karunanidhi on 27th August 1972.
On 15th August 1985 a bigger Church was blessed and consecrated by Archbishop Most Rev. Dr. R. Arulappa. By the efforts of Rev. Fr. P.J. Lawrence Raj, several extensions and renovations were made to this Shrine. A beautiful community hall, stalls Museum and class room blocks were constructed in May 2000, nearly 8 grounds were purchased and a beautiful stage was erected and dedicated to Jubilee 2000.
In 2001 a small Chapel for the blessed Sacrament was built. In 2002 grotto depicting the miracles of Our Lady of Good Health was created. In 2003 Mother Mary's Square and Reconciliation Chapel was constructed.
From 2000 to 2003, 3 grounds were purchased in which the new Convent building stands. On 8th September 2005 this Church was decreed as a Shrine of the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore by the Most Rev. Dr. A.M. Chinnappa SDB, Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore.